Tuesday 21 July 2015

Lucky dip yeast



This was too good to turn down - 5 phials of liquid yeast for £10. These yeasts are usually over £6 each and so even though they are over their use by date its still a great way to try out a load of different yeasts in a very affordable way. Even though the yeasts are over the use by date, they are still perfectly viable if I make a yeast starter first, it just means forgoing the really easy pitch straight from the phial function of the easy yeast. At this price you've just got to experiment!

Because it's a lucky dip, I had no idea what I'd get in the  package. I was hoping for some interesting yeasts and I certainly got some. This also means over the next few months I have some interesting beers to make. As it turned out I was really pleased, you can see from the picture what I got. Here's an idea of what I might make with these yeasts

Vermont Ale Yeast - Kohatu IPA (I've already made this one - recipe coming soon)
Cry Havoc (WLP862) - this is Charlie Papazian's house yeast strain and said to be very versatile - I might also make an IPA with this
Dry Belgian Ale Yeast - This yeast is a monster - 85 - 100% attenuation!! I'll probably make a Leffe or La Chouffe clone with this, with added hoppiness
American Lager Yeast - I struggle with lagers because I don't have any way to control low temperatures. But lager yeasts can make very good stout or porter yeasts and have a nice silky texture so I'll probably use one for entering this competition - and above all I am tempted to make a Baltic porter.
Northeastern Abbey Yeast - another Belgian style yeast, this one much more subtle, and suitable for a wit beer so I might make a Belgian wheaty beer from this.

No comments:

Post a Comment