Wednesday 23 September 2015

English summer pale

For my family holiday I decided to make a keg of lowish alcohol sessiony beer which would be light and focused on English hops. I made enough to fit comfortably into my 10L mini keg with the rest bottled.

I largely used Phoenix hops, which lent the beer a fruity (with an accent from the Phoenix) and tobacco/leather aroma, nice and soft rather then harsh and piney like an American IPA.

To boost the mouth feel I also added quite a lot of oats, although this did add a haze to the beer, along with the wheat, this didn't really matter too much.

The beer tasted great, it was consumed in 5 days by my family (14 adults!) - and confirmed for me that it is possible to get a really good hop flavour and aroma even at fairly low gravity.


Single infusion, bath sparge - 15L
Abv 3.5%


Mash @67C for 120mins

Grain bill
0.5 kg Carapils
1.05kg Wheat malt
0.96kg Munich Malt
0.50kg Biscuit Malt
0.36 kg Flaked Oats

Hop Bill
30 mins- 20g Dana
5 Mins - 10 g Phoenix
WP 45 mins @ 75C descending - 12g Calypso, 45g Phoenix

No comments:

Post a Comment