Tuesday 13 October 2015

Wai-ti weizen (100% wheat beer)

I brewed this beer to try something different. I wanted to see what an 100% wheat beer would taste like, and I wanted to match the banana clove yeast flavor with a fruity new world hop. Aiming for something like a boozy silky fruit salad effect. 

Yeast starter and hops measured out
I used New Zealand Wai-ti hops - these are lovely fruity hops. I'd never used them before, but they came with a great write up, and are quite subtle which is what i was looking for. 

Wort pouring into the fermenter

To make sure I got the effect i wanted, I split the batch into two parts and aggressively dry-hopped the second batch at twice the rate of the first. 
Healthy fermentation - this yeast was really quick to start and gave impressive head!
In the end I preferred the less dry hopped version, the overall impression allowed more of the yeast flavor to shine. This was a superb beer, at the time the best I had made. It scored 69 at the London Amateur Brewers annual competition, and came 4th in its class. One judge scored it 71 (of 80) which was really very good. 



It's a hazy brew - but we don't care! this did clear after a couple of months


Grain Bill
3.8kg Wheat Malt

Mash - BIAB 80mins @ 67C
15.5L batch

Hops 
Mash - 10g Dr Rudi
Mash - 21g Wai-ti
Boil 60min - 7g Dr Rudi

#1 Normal Hopped (10L) 
Whirlpool 20g Wai-ti @ 180F
Dry Hop 20g 

OG - 1063
FG - 1008

#2 Hopped up (5.5L)
Whirlpool 20g @ 180F Wai-ti 
Dry hop 23g Wai-ti

Yeast - Wyeast Bavarian Hefewiezen (#2 repitch)  

No comments:

Post a Comment