Friday 9 September 2016

Holiday beers


 This year I holidayed in South West France and I though I'd try out some local (well - French) beers whilst i was there. Actually where i was my selection was pretty limited (I was pretty much limited to  the supermarket E Le Clerc). I could buy countless Belgian beers, cidre and of course the wine was plentiful and very good.

However I picked out 3 beers that were made in France that I sampled over the holiday.

1. De Goudale - grand cru with Fantasia hop.
This is a strong Belgian style beer, made in France. As a Belgian beer it's lovely Smooth, blonde, great yeast taste. Unfortunately i couldn't really taste much from the hops. Fantasia hops are supposed to have a unique flavour, turns out this is cream soda and caramel which would have been hard to tell apart from the flavours already in the beer.

2. Abbey du mont Saint Eloi - Bier du Garde
Bier du garde is a genuinely French style of beer, so i was interested in how this would taste. Really disappointed in this. It basically tasted like a poor high alcohol lager. Maybe it was a bad example but i didn't like it.

3. Pietra - Biera Corsa.
This is made with Chestnuts! It had a lovely robust malty taste and rusty colour. In fact colour taste and aroma were similar to a British extra special bitter. I could taste a similar slight metallic taste which was similar to the chestnut beer I made myself last year.. Very drinkable.





No comments:

Post a Comment